This document discusses the entry of information related to receiving a payment from a Customer.
- Navigate to Financials > Accounts Receivable > Customer Payments.
- Click the
+Customer Payment link on the Customer Payments home screen.
- Optionally you can then select the +Lookup Invoices link if there is a particular Invoice you would like to apply payment to.
- Enter the Summary information for this Customer Payment. Fields with a red "*" are required (Legal Entity, Bank Account, Customer, Document Date, Post Date, Fiscal Period, and Payment Method). If the PAYMENT OPTIONS/Payment Method is Check, the system will require a value in the Check/Reference # field. Additional details including the description of payment and other comments may be optionally recorded. Click Save.
- From the left menu select Paid Documents. Completed Invoices plus any Posted Customer Payments with a balance not equal to zero for the specified Customer will be listed. As documents are selected, the Balance of the Customer Payment will be updated to reflect the selection. If partial invoices are paid with the customer payment, the amount in the payment field can be overridden. If the balance of the invoice should be discounted or written off, those selections can be made from within the Customer Payment screen. Note that the Discount will automatically default to the discount available on the invoice if the payment date is less than or equal to the discount date specified on the invoice.
- If the Customer Payment includes amounts not directly related to an outstanding customer invoice, you can enter those details by selecting Details from the left hand menu. This will provide a Journal Entry type screen where you can select the account to which you would like to apply this payment or this portion of the payment.
- Select Attachments to upload and save any document(s) related to this Customer payment.
- Click Save when done. This will leave your Customer Payment document in the INUSE Status.
- Rather than clicking Save or Save/Next, the AR User may alternatively select Submit/Next. The AR Poster may choose to Save, Submit, or Post.
Customer Payments must be posted in order to effect the financial statements. The role of the user entering the payment will determine their submittal and posting options.
- AR User: Users with this role can enter and submit customer payments. They will NOT see the option to post within the payment entry document itself or on the payment search screen. Their options are limited to Save, Save/Next, or Submit/Next. The status of SUBMITTED identifies to the AR Poster that the AR User has completed all necessary information on the Customer Payment and the item is ready for review and posting, whereas the status of INUSE indicates that the AR User may not be done entering this Customer Payment.
- AR Poster: Users with this role can enter, submit, and post customer payments. They can optionally post from within the customer payment document or from the customer payment list. The optimal workflow and internal controls for your organization should be considered when assigning these roles.
Customer Payment Query
- Previously entered Customer Payments can be queried. Navigate to Financials > Accounts Receivable > Customer Payments.
- Payments can be selected based upon a number of criteria. These include Customer, Bank Account, Reference #, Payment Amount, Payment Method as well as Paid Invoice #.
- Once the selection criteria has been entered, all payments can be listed via the List tab.
- Customer payments can be viewed, edited, posted and voided from this screen. In addition, any previously unapplied customer payments will be indicated here with the option to apply them.
If you are in a situation where your customer has overpaid and you want to cut them a check to pay them back, you will want to follow the steps below.
- Create an AR/AP clearing account and set it up as a Bank Account with a type of Other.
- Create a vendor payment document for the amount of the overpayment. Charge the offset to the clearing account.
- Create a negative Customer Payment document for the amount of the overpayment using the clearing account bank account. Apply the payment to the existing overpayment Customer Payment document to clear AR.
Adding a Customer Payment can be performed by people with the following Financial roles: AR Poster, AR User. The AR User can save and submit Customer Payments, but only the AR Poster can post the documents.
Some Customer Payments received will be grouped with other receipts into one deposit at a particular bank. In that case, the Bank Account selected when creating the Customer Payment should be the "Undeposited Funds" Bank Account. Then to make the grouped deposit once all items are entered either via the Customer Payment or Deposits screen go to the Deposits menu item and create a new Deposit and select the relevent items from the Deposited Documents menu item. Customer Payments entered with the Undeposited Funds Bank account will be listed for inclusion on the deposit.