Differences between the Knowledge Center and the Help Docs
Examples of how to use
The Unanet Knowledge Center (KC) is a resource offered to share best practices, FAQs, and various scenarios. Tends to address business needs pulling together multiple entries from KC or Help, tends to be more process related.
Content is created and updated on a weekly basis, highlighted entries are shared with Customers via the customer newsletter.
The KC is the WHY and the HOW TO DO IT. The KC covers steps across functionality to solve business processes.
No – will address current version.
This means if you are on an older version of Unanet you may see functionality addressed which your version does not have.
The Help is detailed technical documentation that covers every aspect of every field in Unanet as well as some related processes.
The Help is the WHAT and the HOW IT WORKS.
For the most current Help, use either:
For older versions, consult Support.unanet.com.
Example of older version of Help, first release of Financials:
Overview of KC
Design - Browsable and Searchable
- Topical hierarchy in the left menu including Admin, Expense, Financials, Time, etc.
- Some pages could easily fall into two or more categories, but we must commit to one. Example: Credit Card which was recently moved to Integrations area but relates to Expenses as well.
- Sample search on Overtime
- Multiple results including a Best Practices page on Overtime, as well as other related pages like Overtime Authorization, Straight Time Overtime, Uncompensated Overtime, etc.
- Confluence Search Syntax Guide
- Sample search on Overtime
Upper left links to Support, Unanet Help, and Unanet commercial website
Overview of Help
The Help is organized topically with a similar hierarchy to the KC.
The Help covers technical details of every field and function in Unanet.
- BROWSABLE: Topical hierarchy.
- SEARCHABLE: Searching on "overtime" here will bring up the technical page on Pay Codes.
Sharing information from KC
For one page
- Send a link
- Export to PDF or Word
For multiple pages into one PDF
You may be interested in downloading one document made up of multiple KC pages. For example, exporting the AP Guide or AR guide.
Detailed steps are here: Quick Topic - Exporting KC Pages to PDF
Sharing information from Help
When sending or embedding the link to a Help Doc page, always include the specific link within the current help documentation or within your instance of Unanet.
- Go to http://help.unanet.com/current/index.htm or to your instance of Unanet's help as in the example below.
- Search for the topic (such as "Admin import") in the upper right Search box of the Help.
- Right click on the page name in the left menu.
- Select "Copy link address".
Correct paste result: https://help.unanet.com/current/unanet_menu/admin/import/admin_import.htm
Incorrect paste result from browser address bar: http://help.unanet.com/current/index.htm
- This link will lead to the current help docs home page, not to a specific page.
Sample Popular Topics
|2||Help Docs - Mobile Device - Timesheet|
|11||Help Docs - Working with Timesheets|
|13||FAQ - Can I Hide Menu Options?||Help Docs - menu.xml options|
Pass us feedback
Send an email to Support@Unanet.com if you notice anything like the following in the KC:
- If you see typos – or have suggested changes/additions.
- As you navigate the Help and KC, if you see opportunities to link the help and KC together (cross reference)
- We maintain the ‘index’ in the help – that means we specifically add ‘keywords’ to a list – then link that keyword to specific pages. If you are struggling to find topics when entering certain keywords (that you believe are common) – do pass those keywords along (along with any topics you believe they should link to) and we can work them in.