Title: Foundations of Reporting
This Quick Topic unlocks the power of Unanet reports, guiding the user through a number of examples on how to set up and execute reports from the standard Reports Dashboard. In addition, there is a more detailed list of popular reports which help to answer common business questions with specific guidance and instruction. These popular reports provide useful key performance metrics to help manage projects effectively.
Tip: Click here to learn how to create a personal Project Management Report Reference Guide of key reports for your Project Management Team to execute.
What’s covered in this document:
Additional related pages:
Getting Started with Unanet Reports
The Unanet report menu for Project Portfolio users contains five reporting sections - Project Accounting Reports, Project Reports, People Reports, Resource Reports, and User Reports. Visibility into these sections and visibility into specific reports within these sections is constrained by a person’s roles in Unanet. The table below describes access to these sections.
*Note: Unanet License types, other than Project Portfolio, contain a combination of these five sections.
Project Accounting Reports
General Report Usage
Although the output of reports vary dramatically, the method for filtering and displaying data is consistent across all reports. Every report from the Reports Dashboard contains a combination of filter and display options. The filter options are always at the top of the criteria screen. Filter options allow a user to constrain the records displayed in a report. Display options identify the fields that will display in the output. Using the combination of filter and display options produces an almost unlimited number of outcomes.
There are a variety of methods available to filter the data output in reports. This section describes the options available to users. The REPORT ON section dropdown menu provides three selections for filtering either projects or people. Because the example below is from the Project Reports section, the dropdown menus for projects. The dropdown menu for reports in the People Reports section will filter people.
- My Primary Projects will select projects where the logged in user is the Project Manager.
- My Primary and Alternate Projects will select projects where the logged in user is the Primary or Alternate Project Manager.
- All Projects I can see will select all projects available to the logged in user based on his/her access, either as a Primary or Alternate Project Manager or through organizational access. For information on Organization Access, please refer to the Unanet Help documentation.
The combination of fields on the Criteria page for Project and Person filter data based on the values entered into the boxes. After entering information in these fields, the blue circle arrow is clicked to perform the look-up. Entries matching the selected criteria will be displayed in the corresponding selection box to the right.
The following example uses criteria of:
- REPORT ON - "My Primary Projects"
- PERSON - last name of "user"
Filtering on dates is typically entered at the bottom of the filter criteria. Date filters are entered as specific dates or relative dates. Relative dates are chosen from the dropdown menu and include options like Previous Month, Previous Week or Current Year. Unanet supports an efficient method for entering dates. For current year, the month and day can be entered with a separator like ‘/’ or a blank. When exiting the field, the application will complete the date for you. In the example below, a date entered as “7 1” will be completed as “7/1/2019” when exiting the field.
Use of Wild-cards
When entering data into filter fields, the user can take advantage of a number of wildcard characters to further refine the returned list of entries. The wildcards are described below.
- Percent sign (%)- this character matches on a single character or group of characters. For example, entering %HOUSE will return the following elements. Also note there is an implied % appended to the end of each filter value. As a result, %HOUSE returns the same list as %HOUSE%.
- WHITE HOUSE LAWN
- HOUSE SITTER
- Underscore (_) - this character matches on any single character. For example, ___-___-123 will return the following list:
The Difference between Detail, Periodic and Summary Reports
You will notice that reports are grouped in columns within each report section. Moving left to right you will find DETAIL REPORTS, PERIODIC REPORTS, and SUMMARY REPORTS.
DETAIL REPORTS return detailed information from the Unanet database performing limited aggregation/summing of data.
PERIODIC REPORTS display information in columns representing date frequencies such as weekly or monthly.
SUMMARY REPORTS summarize data based on the date range entered.
Project Manager Popular Reports
This section describes a subset of reports from the Reports Dashboard that are our most popular Project Management reports along with some notable features of those reports.
- Cost Summary and Status Report and Chart
- Employee Utilization Report
- Expense Details Report
- FAQ - What is my forecasted and historic project workload?
- How to create a Project Management Report Reference Guide
- Periodic Forecast Report and Chart
- Project Margin Report
- Project Metrics Comparison Report
- Project Performance Report and Chart
- Project Periodic Actuals Report
- Resource Allocation Report
- Revenue and Funding Summary Report
- Time Details Report