This document covers the steps to create Journal Entries.
- Go to Financials > General Ledger > Journal Entries.
- From the Search tab you can choose to view existing journal entries in any state: Inuse, Submitted, Posted, Include Valid Documents, Include Voiding Documents, and Include Voided Documents. Additionally the user can choose to add a Journal Entry by clicking the +Journal Entry link at the top right corner above the grid.
- Select the Legal Entity. Legal Entity will default if there is only one.
- Select the Document Date. This will typically be the current date (default value).
- Select the Post Date. This date should be included in the fiscal period that should be posted to. The Fiscal Period will default from the selected Post Date. Alternatively, the user may select the Fiscal Period and the Post Date will default to a date within the Fiscal Period based on when that Fiscal Period is and the document date. Prior Fiscal periods' Post Date will default to the last day of the Fiscal Period. The current Fiscal Period date will default to the Document Date. The Post Date for a future Fiscal Period will default to the first day of the Fiscal Period.
- Select whether this entry will reverse, recur or both. Later entries that relate to this initial journal entry will reference the originating entry's document number.
- Optionally include reference information and a short description, or add comments in a less abbreviated manner. Often a reference and/or description will indicate the reasoning for the journal entry or some other title that will be meaningful upon later review.
- After saving the summary screen a document number will be assigned and displayed and a left menu will appear. Select Details to enter the details of your Journal Entry.
- Add as many rows as necessary to complete the entry. Select whether to copy a row if there will be multiple amounts going into one account.
- If any of the accounts selected to post to requires a project (determined in the account set up at Admin > Setup > Accounts), the PROJECT column of the Journal Entry will become available for entry and is required to be completed before the journal entry can be saved, submitted or posted.
- Once the entry is completed there are four options from which to choose. Simply saving allows for stopping mid-course and returning to the Journal Entry for updates before it is Submitted. The options are meant to allow for separation of duties in larger organizations. For example, one person could create and save journal entries, another review for accuracy and submit, and a third person would approve and post the entries depending on the organization's size, procedures and policies.
- As with many other areas in the Unanet Financials, a reference document can be attached to the journal entry.
- Posted Journal entries can be viewed at Financials > General Ledger > Journal Entry > List tab by selecting Posted in the JOURNAL ENTRY STATUS section of the Search tab. They can also be viewed in the GL Details report. Filter the criteria in the DOCUMENT section of the Search tab by selecting the DOCUMENT TYPE of "JE - Journal Entry" from the dropdown menu.