Title: Basic Expense Planning in the Grid
For Unanet Portfolio customers, Project Managers or Project Leads can plan expenses on projects that they manage. Expense Grid Planning can be performed on a specific project by going into a Project profile and selecting "Expense Plan" from the left menu. Expense Planning can also be entered via the Expense Planner feature located on Forecast dashboard when you want to plan expenses on multiple projects at the same time. This page focuses on the Forecast dashboard's Expense Planner feature and describes how expense are entered into Unanet.
What’s covered in this document:
Planning on Multiple Projects
Step 1: Set up your Expense Planning Dashboard
Very similar to planning labor, the first step in planning project expenses is to set up your Planning dashboard. Your Planning dashboard establishes a grid of projects on one axis and periods (quarters, months or weeks) on the other axis. Expense types selected and anticipated costs are entered into cells within the grid. To set up your planning dashboard, refer to the screen shot below and follow the numbered instructions.
Navigate to the Forecast dashboard, click on Expense Planner.
- Planning Periods: choose desired planning period to plan your expenses across the project length.
- Number of Periods: the number of periods will vary based on the budgeting or forecasting period planned. For example, the value for Number of Periods is chosen so the last planning period ending on End Date of project.
- Start Date: the start date will vary based on the budgeting or forecasting period planned.
- Project Filter: you have the option to enter customers or specific projects in the Org. Code or Project Code respectively. After entering values in either of these fields, click on the to display matching projects.
- List of Projects: individual projects can be selected from the list by holding down the control key and clicking on the desired projects.
- Display In Matrix: if you want to plan at task level, choose Tasks Only option.
- Expense Type: select the Expense Types to be included in the planning grid.
Note that you may want to click on the "Save Criteria" on the top right corner to avoid repetitive work the next time you would like to access the grid.
After the Search Options have been entered, click on the Plan tab to enter the matrix.
Navigate: Forecast > Expense Planner.
Step 2: Entering Expenses in the Planning Grid
Your expense planning grid should now be displayed. You will notice a variety of drop down menus on the left and the selected periods across the top. You can begin planning by selecting a combination of project, task, expense type and description for expenses. Enter the totals under each planning period.
Navigate: Forecast > Expense Planner > Plan.
Compared to the Forecast People Planner feature, there are a few differences with the Expense Planner:
- The Resource Planner role is needed for non-Admin users to access the People Planner feature. On the other hand, users with the Project Manager or Project Lead role (and their alternates) can create or maintain expense plan entries.
- The Period of Performance option is only available in the People Planner Grid, not in the Expense Planner Grid view. However, you can do Period of Performance Expense Planning via the +Plan feature within the Project.