The purpose of this function is to provide the ability for timesheet users to have partial-week timesheets to accommodate end-of-month/quarter/year cutoffs for timekeeping, reporting and billing purposes.
Note: Please remember that in order to be posted to the General Ledger or included on a customer invoice, timesheets must be in a LOCKED or EXTRACTED status.
You may, however, still elect to do a custom/stub time period if you want to process time sooner for billing purposes. For example, if your weekly period was Saturday March 29 - Friday April 4, and you didn't want to wait until April 4 to bill for the end of March, you could create a stub timesheet that covers Saturday March 29 - Monday March 31, and process (submit/approve) those timesheets early in the week instead of waiting until the following week.
What’s covered in this document:
There are two actions related to creating the custom time period. The first is a one-time item, and the second is done for each distinct cutoff period.
- The property setting to Allow Custom Time Periods must be selected. This is a one-time setup.
- Create the Custom Time Period for the distinct Cutoff Period. This is done for each specific Cutoff Period. Unanet recommends doing this well in advance of the actual period (see Important Note below).
Setting Time Properties to Allow Custom Periods
- Navigate to Admin > Properties > Time > General > Time Periods and select the check box to Allow Custom Time Periods.
- Click Save.
Creating a Custom Period
A custom period must be set up so that a timesheet can be created to cover the periods before and after the cutoff.
- Navigate to Admin > Setup > Time > Time Periods. Click the +Custom Time Period link on either the Search or List screens.
- Supply the desired custom/stub DATE RANGE.
- Supply the TIME PERIOD (Ex: Bi-Weekly, Semi-Monthly, WeeklySu-Sa).
- Change the WORK HOURS from the value that populates automatically (40, 80, etc.) to the actual number of weekday hours in the stub period.
- Select the check box for ALLOW NEW TIMESHEETS.
- Click Save. Note that upon saving, the time period after the stub period is automatically generated to cover the remainder of the weekly time period.
To view the new created/existing time periods, navigate to Admin > Setup > Time > Time Periods > List tab.
Custom time period definitions may be created as long as no actual timesheet overlapping that period already exists. If the time period already exists, an error message is displayed and the custom period cannot be created.
For example, if a timesheet user had created a timesheet for the period 1/1-1/30, then the Admin would not be able to create the stub period within 1/1-1/30.
For this reason, we recommend that you create all desired stub periods many months in advance.
Once the setup for the custom time periods is done, the timesheet user can then create timesheets that accommodate the time period cutoff.