Title: Deleting Fiscal Years and Changing Fiscal Periods
Edits to Fiscal Years or Fiscal Periods may be constricted by various other actions in the system. These actions may include GL postings, GL Budgets, and Cost Structure indirect rates. In some cases, removing the necessary associations will allow edits, and in others a script may be required.
What’s covered in this document:
Deleting Fiscal Years
Fiscal Years may be deleted from Admin > Setup > Accounting > Fiscal Years as long as they have no Financial postings, Budget profiles, or defined Indirect Rates in Cost structures.
If a trash can icon appears, click the icon to delete.
If a trash can icon does not appear:
- Determine whether financial postings have occurred within that fiscal year. If there are financial postings within that fiscal year, the Fiscal Year may not be deleted from Admin > Setup > Accounting > Fiscal Years.
- Delete any existing Budget Profiles containing the Fiscal Year.
- Delete any Fiscal Year entries for that year from the Indirect Cost Rates tab on all Cost Structures.
Barring any postings found in Step 1 above, you can now delete the Fiscal Year from Admin > Setup > Accounting > Fiscal Years.
Changing Fiscal Period Definitions
If a Fiscal Period (FP) has been defined in Unanet and it is later determined that the FP definition needs to be changed in some way, the Unanet application may prevent the administrator from doing so. There are multiple types of data in Unanet that can reference a FP, and if any of those pieces of data exist in the system for the given FP, then the Fiscal Year Breakdown page will not include the modify/delete icons as it normally does. See the examples below.
There may be ways to re-enable the modify or delete icons in order to make these changes, which are described below.
When transactions have NOT been posted to the GL
For the incorrectly-defined Fiscal Period, if no transactions exist that have been Posted to the General Ledger, then there are two other types of data in Unanet that may be referencing the FP and causing it to be unchangeable. Those are: (1) Indirect Cost Rates set up under a Cost Structure, and (2) General Ledger Budgets. If it is feasible to delete the rates and budgets referring to the bad FP, then doing so will free up the FP to be modified via the application.
When transactions have been posted to the GL
For the incorrectly-defined Fiscal Period, if transactions do exist that have been Posted to the General Ledger, then it is possible that a database script can be run to resolve this issue.
(1) Follow the steps in the prior section to delete any Indirect Cost Rates under a Cost Structure that refer to the FP, and delete General Ledger Budgets that refer to the FP.
(2) Work with the Unanet Technical Services Group (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have a script developed that will work as follows:
- For each Fiscal Period that needs to be redefined, it is necessary to first find or create a dummy FP that does not have any transactions in it, such as one in the distant past or distant future.
- The first part of the script will temporarily move the transactions to one of the dummy FPs.
- The change can then be made via the UI.
- The second part of the script will move them back to their correct month.