Title: Expense Report - End-User Expense Training
This Quick Topic provides an overview of creating, editing and submitting an expense voucher. A description of the approval process and expense statuses is also provided.
What’s covered in this document:
Expense Report Creation
From either Expense > Dashboard or Expense > List, click the +Expense link in the right corner above the grid to create a new expense report.
Expense Report Summary Screen
The Summary page captures information about the trip or expense report as a whole.
PURPOSE and LOCATION
Enter the purpose of the expense and the location where it was incurred.
PROJECT and TASK
Choose a project and task (where applicable) from the dropdown menu to report the expenses. The list will include all assigned projects available for the expense user.
If this expense report is for one project, ALLOCATION (%) should be 100%. If the expenses are for more than one project, you can define how to allocate the expenses to each project. For example, if the employee travels to one location to work on two projects and wants to evenly split the expenses, he/she would do as follows:
- Add one more row by clicking the Add a row icon beneath the existing entries.
- Enter "50" for ALLOCATION (%) for each project to split the expense equally.
- Click Save if complete, or Details to add specific line item information.
Note: Clicking the Details button will automatically save the request and direct the user to the Expense Report Details screen.
Expense Report Detail
The Expense Report Details screen is used to record the detailed expense items.
Adding Rows to the Expense Report Details Screen
Click the Add a row icon to add more expense detail rows. A sample details screen is shown below.
Expense items are entered as individual rows on this screen. Required fields include the Date, Expense Type, Amount, and Payment Method.
- DATE - Date the expense was incurred.
- EXPENSE TYPE - Type of expense incurred.
- AMOUNT (USD) - Based on the EXPENSE TYPE field, the AMOUNT field accepts either a monetary amount or invokes a wizard data entry screen. The wizard data entry screen is invoked when the cursor is placed in the AMOUNT field. The wizard data entry screen collects the required and optional information associated with the EXPENSE TYPE.
- PAYMENT METHOD - Available payment methods include Employee, Corp. Card, and Company Paid based on who is expected to be charged for the expense item.
- CHARGE TO PROJECT - Allows charging expenses according to the specified Project Allocation or to a particular project using its associated number in the top section of the Expense Report Details screen.
The buttons at the bottom of the screen represent the actions that can be applied to the expense report.
- Save - Save the expense report.
- Submit - Submit the expense report.
- Preview - Displays a read-only view of the expense report.
- Allocate - Allows the expense user to view the total cost of the expense report.
- Purpose - Displays the expense summary screen.
- Threshold - Displays system-configured expense thresholds by expense types.
- Import - Only appears if Enable Credit Card Functionality property is enabled. Displays imported credit card transactions screen.
- Attach - Allows files to be attached to the expense report. This option can be used to attach soft-copy expense receipts.
Many of the Expense Types are associated with an Expense Wizard, which will pop up when you click the AMOUNT field. Each wizard is unique and should be populated with as much information as possible. Additionally, the wizard allows you to enter the paid currency and exchange rate, a vendor, and to check if a receipt is provided.
Some expense type wizards may also contain a list of applicable vendors. Select the vendor from the dropdown menu. If the vendor you used for the transaction is not included, you can type the Vendor into the Vendor Name field.
Display Custom Text Messages on Wizard
It is possible to display custom text messages on a wizard in much the same way you would for a timesheet. HTML tags are allowed to format the message (but not required).
Note: If HTML is not used, the message will display in bold text under the title.
- Navigate to Admin > Setup > Expense > Expense Types.
- Click the edit pencil icon for the desired Expense Type and select the Summary tab.
- In the Description box, enter the custom text message, using HTML tags if desired.
- In the EXPENSE REPORTING OPTIONS section, select the check box for Show Description.
- Click Save.
In this example, when the AMOUNT field is clicked for Airfare on the expense report, the wizard will display with the custom text message as shown.
Completing an Expense Report
Once all the details have been entered, click Save. This preserves the expense report in the user’s queue for future modification. It will not be submitted for approval and reimbursement until Submit is clicked.
Expense Report Status
Navigate to Expense > List to see all your active expense reports and their current status. The status of the expense report will be one of the following.
- INUSE - The expense report is in use by the expense user. It has been saved but not submitted for approval.
- SUBMITTED - The expense report has been submitted by the user and is waiting for the first approval to be made.
- APPROVING - The expense report has been approved by one or more approvers, but has not been through all levels of approval. You can choose to view the expense report using the magnifying glass icon next to the report, and choose Approval History to see who has approved the report.
- DISAPPROVED - The expense report has been disapproved. The user must edit and resave the expense report where it will then revert to INUSE status. It must then be resubmitted and go through the approval process again.
- COMPLETED - When all approvals have been made, the status of the expense report is changed to COMPLETED. When the expense report enters this state, it is no longer visible in the Active Expenses list. The user is required to navigate to the Completed Expenses list to see the report listing.
- LOCKED - The expense report is locked and cannot be edited by the user. This status is an intermediate status between COMPLETED and EXTRACTED.
- EXTRACTED - When the expense report has been exported from Unanet to be paid through the accounting or payroll system, the status may be change to EXTRACTED. At this point, no further corrections are possible in the expense report.
Submitting Expense Reports
It is critical to review your expense report for accuracy prior to submitting it. Click Submit to move the report into the approval stage. A text dialog is displayed where the user can enter optional comments for this expense report.
The approval of an Expense Report is required from Finance and the Project Lead(s) of each charge number associated with the expense. These approvals are allowed to proceed in parallel, as either approver can act before the other.