Approval Groups allow your organization to have supervisors/managers/approvers approve timesheets, expense reports, expense requests, leave requests, vendor invoices, purchase requisitions, and purchase orders.
The Approval Group Details report in the Reports > Reference area is very helpful for looking at a birds' eye view of the setup of your approvers and submitters (screenshot below).
- If you have a different approval chain for expense than from time (a final expense approver, for example), then each supervisor (manager) should have two approval groups: one for the routing of timesheets and one for the routing of expense reports. Timesheets are routed to the manager for approval. Expense reports are often first routed to the manager for approval, then to an individual in Finance & Accounting as the second level of approval.
- Decide on Approval Group names; consider using the same names as internal organizations.
- Determine who should approve timesheets in each department, office or organizational unit
- Determine who should approve expense reports in each department, office or organizational unit
- Determine the order of approvers for each department, office or organizational unit. This may be loosely tied to the organization chart.
- Determine if Accounting or Payroll is responsible for the final approval of all timesheets?
- Determine if AP is responsible for the final approval of all expense reports in Unanet?
- Decide on Alternate Approvers for each primary approver (this is set in the person profile Alternates area)
- Customize email templates for approval events.
Person Profile Approval Group setup for Expense:
Navigate :to People > List > List > Edit Pencil Icon > Expense.
Admin Setup Approval Groups:
Navigate :to Admin > Setup > Approval Groups > Time and Expense > List > Edit Pencil Icon.
Approval Group Details report:
Navigate :to Reports > Reference > Approval Group Details > Run Report.