Title: How do I change my time period (i.e., from Semi-Monthly to Weekly)?
When a company decides to change time periods in Unanet for some or all of its users, if a timesheet has already been created then the ability to do this in the user's Profile > Time > Time Period dropdown menu is no longer available. This change, therefore, must be made with a SQL script that Unanet Support can help you with and submit on your behalf. The following steps will help you understand what information is needed to complete the time period change process.
Note that if an integration is in place where person data from an external system is flowing into Unanet, this needs to be considered prior to making the change. In this case, the time period name is typically flowing from the external system into Unanet so it would need to be modified. Also if Dilution is turned on, then the person cost rate dates are adjusted by the integration program to align with time period start dates, so this would need to be modified in conjunction with the time period change.
Please note that all necessary information, including screenshots and confirmations, should be sent to Unanet Support (email@example.com) at least five (5) business days prior to the desired date of this time period change request. Furthermore, once you have been notified by a Unanet Support representative that the script has been executed, please be sure to email by COB upon receipt of notification confirming that the time period change has been done as you expected.
Our Cloud Ops team only keeps backups made for these time period change requests for 24 hours after the script has successfully run.
What’s covered in this document:
A step-by-step guide to changing time periods in Unanet as well as the questions/information needed to include in your request that you will send to firstname.lastname@example.org (see "In a Nutshell - Time Period Changes" section below)
How to Change Time Periods in Unanet
- Go to Admin > Setup > Time > Time Period Setup to determine what time periods currently exist in your system.
NOTE: If the entire company is changing from one time period to another, it may be beneficial to enter a CUT OFF DATE for the time period currently in use.
- If the new time period doesn’t already exist, create it (i.e., Weekly) and designate the BEGIN DATE.
- Determine which users will move from the old time period to the new one. If all users are changing time periods, you needn’t do anything more in Step 3. If only selected users are changing time periods, it is more helpful to obtain the
person_keysof those users affected by the change. To obtain this information, you can download and import the attached Person Export template into Unanet. If you’ve never imported a template to Unanet, see the related Help documentation. Once the template is loaded in your system, you can filter the users that will be affected by the change. Alternatively, you can export all and remove the rows of users not affected by the change.
Another way to find the user's
person_keyis by accessing their profile in People > List and clicking the edit pencil icon. In the browser's address, the person key should be visible as shown in the example below.
In the example above, the user's person key (or
person_keyin the database) is 85.
- If you subscribe to Unanet’s On Demand service, contact Support to determine the time period keys in your database.
If you are On Premise, meaning that your organization hosts its own instance of Unanet, have your Database Administrator run the following query on your Unanet database, then send Unanet Support the results.
select * from time_period_setup
- Ensure that the users who are moving to the new time period have created a final timesheet in their existing time period. You can run the Timesheet Status report to confirm that no timesheets for these users are MISSING.
If the time period change script is run before the user has created a timesheet in their existing time period, when they create a timesheet that should be in the existing time period, it will be created in the new time period they are moving to.
- Once you have the list of
person_keysfrom Step 3 and the Time Period results from Step 4, you can provide that information to Unanet Support to request the time period change. Specify the old and new time periods and the date the new time period will begin. Generally, the date that the time period change occurs is referred to as the "cut over date." Something to bear in mind is, no overlapping time between the time periods should exist. A clean cut off between the two periods is best. If this is something that does not occur organically (such as end of the month, to the first of the next week/month) other options can be exercised such as creating custom time periods. Once a cut over date is determined, bear in mind all time from the SQL scripts cut over date and beyond will be deleted from the database.
- If you subscribe to Unanet’s On Demand service, Unanet Support can complete the remaining steps in your time period change.
If you are On Premise, Unanet Support will provide you with the necessary script for your Database Administrator to run and complete the change.
Prior to running any script, it is strongly recommended that you perform a database backup first.
- Special Note: any old data needs to be finalized before running the time period change script as certain actions will no longer work as expected. For example:
Retroactive cost rate changes will not work for exempt users if using dilution and the time period dates of the new and old time periods do not align.
In A Nutshell - Time Period Changes
For your convenience, you can copy and paste the questions below and provide the necessary information requested and submit completed information and screenshots to email@example.com.
- Please include your Unanet URL.
- Did you have a date in mind that you would like this done (effective date)? Ideally, this should be a future date.
- If the effective date of the new time period switch involves a retroactive date, and you are a Financials customer, please indicate if the historic hours have been included in any type of Financials postings, such as a Billing & Revenue post or on an invoice.
- Is there any time entered in the future (or previous periods) that will be lost? Note that during a time period change, all future time (and previous time, if applicable) that has been entered on the existing (or previous) time period will be deleted. You can contact Unanet Support to help you run a Time export to capture any previous timesheet hours that can be re-imported after the script has been executed.
- Are you switching to a different time period type? If so, please list old time period name and new time period name exactly as the titles are reflected in your Time Period set up screen (example: weekly to biweekly) - or just the date range of your current period type.
- Has the new time period been created yet?
- Do all necessary timesheets, including the final timesheet in the retiring time period, exist for all affected users? You can run a Timesheet Status report filtered for "Missing" (in the TIMESHEET STATUS section) timesheets to confirm.
- Please send a screenshot of your Time Period setup page in Admin > Setup > Time > Time Period Setup that includes both the old and new time periods just to make sure the right keys can be requested to prep the script as the time period names have to exactly match what has been set up in this screen.
- Will all users in the system change to the new time period? The time period change can be done for individual users. For individuals, you would need to obtain and provide a screenshot of their person key in order for us to configure the script. (Please see Step 3 above on how to capture person key information.)
- Please provide confirmation that all affected users will be made aware that new timesheets should not be opened in the retiring time period after the indicated effective date of the new time period change. Once this script has been run, all future time in the retiring time period will be deleted.
Additional information needed For On Premise customers only:
- What version of Unanet are you currently running? Can you send us your Unanet About page (My Account > About)?
- Can you send us the results of this SQL statement:
select * from time_period_setup?
- What database platform are you running? Oracle or MS SQL Server?
- Have you considered the impact of any integrations, especially the flow of people into Unanet? This needs to be addressed prior to making the time period change.