The List Invoices screen is used by Billing Managers to view, edit, delete, complete or reverse (void) existing invoices. When an invoice is Completed using the green check mark, it is set to the Completed status, and Unbilled (or Draft) items become Billed. Corresponding Revenue Recognition Journal entries are created where appropriate for the One Time Items and for Fixed Price Items where recognition occurs on bill completion.
The List is also available to Billing Viewers for the purpose of viewing invoices. The resulting list of invoices displays summary information about each invoice, including invoice number and date, post date, payment terms, amount, and, if applicable, the voiding invoice #.
By clicking the edit pencil from the List of invoices, Billing Managers can access the draft version of the invoice to then accomplish the following:
- Include Additional Items on the invoice, such as discounts, additional fees or tax.
- Modify header, footer, description and memo details.
- Defer or write off individual items from appearing on an invoice such as, any CP labor, expense or fee cap, any fixed price items, any funding cap adjustment, prebilled labor, or T&M Expense or Labor.
Edit Draft Invoice Setup
Various aspects of the draft invoice may be edited via the Invoice > Setup within the Draft Invoice preview as in the screenshot below.
If Payment terms are changed, the invoice will recalculate the due date from the invoice date.
Note that when information is overridden on a project invoice from project defaults (payment terms, invoice memo & what other fields), the saved project defaults are not changed. To change the defaults for a project's billing setup, use this link.
Write off or Defer Transactional Invoice data.
Transactional data on the invoice may be written off or deferred as in the screenshots below.
Revising Invoiced Amounts if the amount is not accepted by the customer
To support the scenario when an invoice is sent to a customer and the amount is not accepted, the following options are available.
OPTION 1 - Changes to “total” with another invoice
- Produce another invoice with Additional Item with a debit or a credit. This may be the only item on the invoice (select the option ‘Include projects without unbilled data’ under Add Invoice to do this)
- Use the memo field to indicate that this invoice is an addendum to the original invoice
Note that this invoice will have a different number
OPTION 2 - Correct on the subsequent invoice (via adjustments and/or one-time items)
- Timesheets are adjusted and go through the normal process.
- Correcting expense reports could also be submitted, approved and posted.
- The next invoice includes these and/or Additional Item with a debit or a credit to the amount of the original invoice.
Note that this invoice will have a different number.
OPTION 3 - External reformat combined with one-time item
- An Additional Item or adjustment on an invoice that is not sent to the client could be used to ensure correct bill and revenue balance in Unanet.
- The original invoice can be copied to Word or Excel and formatted as desired if the client requests that the original transactions are presented.
OPTION 4 - Reverse Invoice via Void or UnComplete (items will be available for future billing)
- Users can always void an invoice. Voiding an invoice results in the creation of reversing transactions that will be seen in the general ledger.
- Users will have the option to Uncomplete and invoice when the Allow Users to Un-Complete Invoices property is selected in the Admin/Properties/Unanet/General/Billing. Uncompleting an invoice results in the system going in and deleting the g/l transactions created by the invoice post.
- Either voiding or uncompleting an invoice is accomplished by clicking on the icon in the Invoice List.
- When an original invoice is voided in Unanet, the transactions included in the voided invoice are available for future billing in Unanet under one or more new invoices with different invoice numbers. Likewise for uncompleted invoices, except that in that case the same invoice number as the one uncompleted will be available for use.
- An original invoice can only be voided once. Prior to voiding an invoice the user is presented with a warning.
When do invoice adjustments show up on project reports?
- Invoices may be adjusted in the Draft status by deferrals, write-offs, and additional items.
- An additional item will appear on the JSR when it’s saved on an invoice. If the JSR is run on posted data only, only additional items on completed invoices will show up.
- The same holds true for write-offs on T&M Labor, T&M Expense, CP Labor, CP Expense, CP Fee Cap Adjustment, Fixed Price, and Funding Cap Adjustments.
- Prebilled Labor items and time associated with prebilled labor items cannot be written off.
- Note that these invoice adjustments will not appear in basic "Time & Expense Only" reports.
Emailing the Invoice
Note that initial Admin and Project setup of Email is handled in these links:
To email an actual invoice, navigate to Financials - List Invoices
Then check "Email all selected invoices", and be cognizant of the Actual Delivery Method if you want to pick up invoices that were or were not already emailed.
Click the List tab, check the boxes next to the invoices you want to email, and click the email button: