When editing Details lines for a Purchase Order or Purchase Requisition, by default, both active and inactive projects are returned when using the wildcard "%" character to search the PROJECT field.
What’s covered in this document:
Initial Search Results Using Wildcard "%" Character
To illustrate the described situation, we are showing the Labor lines for a Purchase Order. (Financials > Purchase Order > Edit Pencil Icon > Details/Labor left menu)
The initial search using the wildcard "%" character in the PROJECT field returns a list of all projects, both active and inactive.
The highlighted projects returned in the search results are inactive projects. This is verified by viewing the list of projects (Project > List) and reviewing the PROJECT STATUS column.
Alternatives to Limit the Search Results
Option 1 - Use Specific Search Criteria
Assuming you know the projects that would be applicable to your Purchase Order or Purchase Requisition, you can use the normal search conventions within Unanet to narrow the list of returned results. For example:
- Combine the wildcard "%" character with letters/numbers that are in the results you are seeking. Using 10% as the search criteria would return all projects with "10" in the name.
- Enter specific letters or numbers without the wildcard "%" character. Using space as the search criteria would return all projects with "space" in the name.
Option 2 - Changing Project Settings
In many cases, it may not be feasible to use specific characters to narrow the search results for projects in the Details lines, making the use of the wildcard "%" the most practical approach.
In this situation, to narrow the full list and see only active (Open) projects, it is necessary to change some project settings in the inactive (Closed) projects (and their related Tasks) to not allow time charging. This would require:
- Edit the project. Within the Project Profile, select the Time tab and uncheck the option to Allow Time Reporting, click Save.
- Edit the project. Within the Project Profile, select the Expense tab and uncheck the option to Allow Expense Reporting, click Save.
- Edit the project. Within the Project Profile, select the Item tab and uncheck the option to Allow Item Reporting, click Save.
If there are numerous projects and tasks that need to be updated, project and task imports can be used to make the changes. Links to the Help documents on these processes are listed in the Additional Information section.