This Quick Topic will cover how to view, edit, and email invoices.
What’s covered in this document:
The List Invoices screen is used by Billing Managers to view, edit, delete, complete or reverse (void) existing invoices. When an invoice is Completed by clicking the blue circle check mark, it is set to the Completed status, and Unbilled (or Draft) items become Billed. Corresponding Revenue Recognition Journal entries are created where appropriate for the One Time Items and for Fixed Price Items where recognition occurs on bill completion.
The List is also available to Billing Viewers for the purpose of viewing invoices. The resulting list of invoices displays summary information about each invoice, including INVOICE #, INVOICE DATE, POST DATE, PAYMENT TERM, AMOUNT, BALANCE, and, if applicable, the VOIDING INVOICE #.
By clicking the edit pencil icon from the List of invoices, Billing Managers can access the draft version of the invoice to accomplish the following:
- Include Additional Items on the invoice, such as discounts, additional fees or tax.
- Modify header, footer, description and memo details.
- Defer or write off individual items from appearing on an invoice such as any CP labor, expense or fee cap, any fixed price items, any funding cap adjustment, prebilled labor, or T&M Expense or Labor.
Edit Draft Invoice Setup
Navigate to Invoicing & Posting > List Invoices and select the edit pencil icon to edit a draft invoice. Various aspects of the draft invoice may be edited via the Invoice > Setup option as shown below.
If Payment Terms are changed, the invoice will recalculate the due date from the invoice date.
Note that when information is overridden on a project invoice from project defaults (payment terms, invoice memo & other fields), the saved project defaults are not changed.
To change the defaults for a project's billing setup, see the I&P - Project Billing Setup page.
Navigate to Invoicing & Posting > List Invoices and select the edit pencil icon to edit an invoice.
The ability to attach a document to an invoice is available for any invoice regardless of its status, as well as any invoice that was generated by Historical Data Load (HDL).
For example, if you are trying to replicate an historical invoice, you can do so using HDL and attach an actual copy of the invoice from the historical system you are trying to replicate.
- Attachments are added from the left menu when previewing or editing an invoice. If desired, attachments to an invoice can also be deleted from this menu option.
- Use the Choose File button to locate the file on your system and select it. Click Save to upload the file.
- The uploaded attachment is confirmed by displaying the file information along with the paper clip icon. Click Save to complete the process.
- The paper clip icon will now display in the list of invoices (Invoicing & Posting > List Invoices) for those invoices that have had attachments uploaded for them.
The FILE SIZE column provides the size of the attachment to assist those who may need to email the invoice and its attachment(s) but have a size limitation when emailing files.
The ATTACHED BY column specifies who uploaded the attachment along with the date/time of the upload. The date/time becomes important in the event someone receives the invoice but possibly not the attachment. The date/time on the attachment can be compared to the date/time on the invoice (assigned when it was printed or emailed) to clarify the timing of events.
The EMAIL WITH INVOICE box should be unchecked if the attachment information would be for internal use only. If checked, it would indicate that the attachment should be sent out to the customer.
- On the List Invoices screen, there will be a column of check boxes to the left of the invoices to be used to select those invoices to be emailed.
When you select the desired check boxes and click E-mail, an intermediate screen is displayed showing those invoices to be sent and their attachments.
This screen can serve as a reminder in the event an attachment that may have been needed was not uploaded to an invoice.
Write Off or Defer Transactional Invoice Data
Transactional data on the invoice may be written off or deferred as shown in the screenshots below.
Select the check box for the desired item(s) and click Defer Selected or Write Off Selected as appropriate.
Revising Invoiced Amounts if the Amount is Not Accepted by the Customer
To support the scenario when an invoice is sent to a customer and the amount is not accepted, the following options are available.
OPTION 1 - Changes to “total” with another invoice
- Produce another invoice with Additional Item with a debit or a credit. This may be the only item on the invoice (select the option ‘Include projects without unbilled data’ under Add Invoice to do this).
- Use the memo field to indicate that this invoice is an addendum to the original invoice.
Note that this invoice will have a different number.
OPTION 2 - Correct on the subsequent invoice (via adjustments and/or one-time items)
- Timesheets are adjusted and go through the normal process.
- Correcting expense reports could also be submitted, approved and posted.
- The next invoice includes these and/or Additional Item with a debit or a credit to the amount of the original invoice.
Note that this invoice will have a different number.
OPTION 3 - External reformat combined with one-time item
- An Additional Item or adjustment on an invoice that is not sent to the client could be used to ensure correct bill and revenue balance in Unanet.
- The original invoice can be copied to Word or Excel and formatted as desired if the client requests that the original transactions are presented.
OPTION 4 - Reverse Invoice via Void or UnComplete (items will be available for future billing)
- Users can always void an invoice. Voiding an invoice results in the creation of reversing transactions that will be seen in the General Ledger.
- Users will have the option to un-complete and invoice when the Allow Users to Un-Complete Invoices property (Admin > Properties > Unanet General > Billing) is selected. Un-completing an invoice results in the system deleting the GL transactions created by the invoice post.
- Either voiding or un-completing an invoice is accomplished by clicking on the appropriate icon in the Invoice List.
- When an original invoice is voided in Unanet, the transactions included in the voided invoice are available for future billing in Unanet under one or more new invoices with different invoice numbers. Likewise for uncompleted invoices, except that in that case the same invoice number as the one uncompleted will be available for use.
- An original invoice can only be voided once. The user is presented with a warning prior to voiding an invoice.
When do invoice adjustments show up on project reports?
- Invoices may be adjusted in the draft status by deferrals, write-offs, and additional items.
- An additional item will appear on the JSR when it’s saved on an invoice. If the JSR is run on posted data only, only additional items on completed invoices will show up.
- The same holds true for write-offs on T&M Labor, T&M Expense, CP Labor, CP Expense, CP Fee Cap Adjustment, Fixed Price, and Funding Cap Adjustments.
- Prebilled labor items and time associated with prebilled labor items cannot be written off.
- Note that these invoice adjustments will not appear in basic "Time & Expense Only" reports.
Emailing the Invoice
Note that initial Admin and Project setup of email is handled in these links:
To email an actual invoice, navigate to Financials > Invoice & Posting > List Invoices.
On the Search tab, in the INVOICE DELIVERY OPTIONS section, select the check box for Email all selected invoices. In the ADDITIONAL CRITERIA section, be cognizant of the ACTUAL DELIVERY METHOD if you want to pick up invoices that were or were not already emailed.
Click the List tab, check the boxes next to the invoices you want to email, and click E-mail.
KC - FAQ - Why can't I create an invoice?
KC - I&P - Project Billing Setup